well, shucks

I arrived at the ghost ranch to pick up my food resupply, enjoy a shower and washing machine only to find that the forest service has announced that all forests in the state are indefinitely closed.

I got a ride from a nice older lady with a small daschund... She also fit the Czech couple Fuego and Master Chef in, along with the Britisher Blink.

Now I'm in Chama, sharing a room with fellow hiker The Jesus. I've got equipment coming here in the next days. It's very tough to find a place to stay... People are doubling and tripling up. Soon hikers from lower in New Mexico will begin streaming into town, as this is the gateway to Colorado.

So...I didn't achieve my goal of walking all the way across New Mexico. Some admirable people are waking the highway for 120 miles in order to maintain a continuous footpath across the state.

Me? Well, I got into those higher mountains a few days ago, and found I have no desire for that. I'll take the loss, rest the body, do some writing and meditation, which I've really missed... And start up again at Cumbres Pass in the mountain state.

here you can see my 28 camps moving north. The areas in red boxes are now closed. I needed four more days to finish the state. I did walk over 550 miles, and that will have to be enough for good ol' New Mexico, which I now feel I know really, really, really well!


Comments

  1. So sorry for you my friend, but I'm glad it didn't happen 2 weeks ago. Be strong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yves... And you are absolutely right... I've only missed "a little bit." Dozens of people are much further back. I remain grateful for the whole experience...!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the job is done

into Steamboat

to another border