almost to Rawlins

Cory and I are lying under some trees in blustery weather. The first trees we've seen in 100 miles of walking through remote high scrublands, then brutal desert floor. Earlier today, we escaped the desert into highway 287, and were immediately fighting being blown over by huge trucks. With only a few sips of water left from the electric well 15 miles back, I licked my chapped lips, knowing we'd have a fish pond in three miles. Suddenly, a sign: "fresh lemonade." And a boy, bored, looking at me from a metal shed on the side of the road.

Wow...

I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

He had ice cream too. We left happy, and thirty dollars poorer. Then we found the trees, and here we sit. Much to report, but for now, back to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lordsburg

84 miles down, heading north to Silver City

well, shucks